Monday, March 30, 2015

Friends, hello! You are long overdue for an update on where we are in our adoption process. Not much has changed logistically since the last post; we are still in the waiting for referral phase, meaning we are waiting for the Philippine adoption board to match our dossier with a child(ren) who they think would best suit us, and us them. This wait on average is 12-18 months, and we are about 9 months in! While it seems long, the waiting time has been necessary as we've transitioned to living in the DC area. To be honest, it's been a raw, emotional, and challenging time for me, but so very rich in growth and purpose. We've settled in nicely to the area, found a church home where we feel connected and welcome, established a homeschool rhythm, and are generally enjoying life here. But the grieving that took place as we left our home and friendships in Cincinnati has continued to come in surprising waves for me, and at times, the kids. It's good for me to feel this loss, to remember that our future child will indeed grieve the leaving of what they now know as home, that it will be acute, and also chronic.

I am freshly reminded of the truth that joy and sorrow are not opposing emotions, but often run congruent with one another, like parallel train tracks traveling to a singular destination. Joy and sorrow marked Jesus' life, and I'm beginning to discover that as they mark mine, I'm more keenly aware of His preparation and plan in our family's story.
As the months tick off the adoption waiting period, I feel my sorrow rise, and it often spills from my eyes. Sorrow for wounds that my child bears, undoubtedly wrestles and argues with, and will struggle to reconcile, or be at peace with, in their heart. My comfort is knowing that sorrow and joy can be partners in the never ending process of swabbing and healing wounds.

As I revisited past blog posts and our prayer requests, I'm humbled to see how God has steadily, specifically been answering them. I asked for increased gentleness and patience in my parenting and I can truly say that God has been transforming my mothering heart, making me a better mother to our children now, and preparing me for parenting a deeply wounded, confused heart. Truly, praise the Lord for the miracle of continuing to transform and redeem our hearts.
Also, up until this point, we've received so much love and financial support it's been amazing. We still have a huge chunk of fees we will have to pay once matched and at travel. We are trusting God will continue to be faithful with provision. Thank you to those who have contributed....we are humbled and honored you want to be part of this journey.

Would you continue to please pray for us? For Willow and Boone and wisdom on how to best begin preparing them for new siblings. For the remainder of funds to be provided and ideas for fundraising. We will be applying for grants soon, and hope for favor as families are given funds. For Justin and I to be united and and our marriage protected as we continue to wait and wonder. And mostly, for the ones we will be bringing into our home, who have endured loss, sorrow and confusion in their short little years. For kind, gentle preparation for them as they begin the leaving process of where they are now and learn how to integrate into a strange family.

We've been so encouraged with all the foster and adoptive families we've met over the past few years; their honesty at the real struggles waged and heartache that is endured, tempered with the joy and hope that is experienced, has provided sustaining insight and wisdom as we wait.

So please keep praying, and keep your eyes and ears perked for some upcoming opportunities to be part of this story!

No comments: